Skip to main content

Full text of "Centennial history of Macedonia Lutheran Church, 1869-1969"

See other formats





.|Cibre:ri 



CENTENNIAL HISTORY 



of 



MACEDONIA LUTHERAN 



CHURCH 



1869—1969 



Larry W. Fuqua 



PREFACE 

''History", it has been said, "is an account of something 
which never happened, written by someone who wasn't there". 
Since the material in this book covers a period of many years, 
I cannot claim that the work contains no errors. Many sources 
have been consulted in preparing this material, and in some 
instances, it has been difficult to select the most plausible from 
a group of conflicting facts. 

The purpose of this book is to provide a chronological picture 
of the historical advancement and achievements of Macedonia 
Lutheran Church and its people. 

It is my hope that I have discolored no facts, misrepresented 
no events, nor failed to give as true and as accurate a picture 
of this congregation as possible. I appreciate the invaluable 
assistance of the Special Historical Committee appointed by 
the Church Council. These people are as follows : Mr. Daniel 
Apple, Mrs. Helen Bevan, Mr. Jeffrey Bond, Mrs. Eva Clemmer, 
Mr. George A. Keck, Mrs. Linda Irwin, Mrs. Lottie Murrie, Mrs. 
Beulah Sullivan and Miss Susan Whiteside. 

Especially do I appreciate the work done by Mrs. Eva Clem- 
mer in the previous history which was written in 1959. Also, 
I would like to give special recognition to Mrs. Beulah Sullivan 
and Pastor Whiteside for their assistance and encouragement 
on this project. 

Larry W. Fuqua 



TABLE OF CONTENTS 



TABLE OF CONTENTS 



Page 



Preface 



Text 



Congregational Picture 1969 20-21 



The Church Bell 24 



Ministers of Macedonia 25 



Church Council and Church Staff 31 



Roll of Members 32 



Bibliography 39 



The founding- of Macedonia Lutheran Church was not an 
isolated event. It was simply a step in the growth of the Lutheran 
Church in North Carolina, Alamance County and the Burlington 
Community. The need for a church naturally came to be as a 
result of the founding of Company Shops which later became 
Burlington. But we cannot begin with Company Shops or even 
with the older Lutheran Churches in our community for our 
roots are much deeper. 

The story of Macedonia Lutheran Church and all Protestant 
churches began when Martin Luther, an Augustinian Monk in 
the Catholic Church, nailed his Ninety-five Theses on the door 
of the Wittenburg Castle Church on October 31, 1517, the eve 
of All Saint's Day. At this time Martin Luther had no idea of 
breaking away from the ancient church but unbeknown to him 
his actions had started a vast reform movement and he had 
founded what became the largest Protestant Church in the 
world. Also there followed a century and a half of religious wars 
and persecution. 

German immigration to America grew out of the fearful 
results of these religious wars and persecution that left their 
country desolate and made existence there intolerable. The new 
world opened an asylum for these people. Thousands left their 
native land by way of England and Holland to reach a home 
in the wilderness. Most of these landed in Pennsylvania which 
for all practical purposes became a German colony. 

During the period between 1768-1775 the archives of the 
colony of Pennsylvania record the names of more than 30,000 
persons who landed at the port of Philadelphia. Many of these 
immigrants came to North Carolina as most of the valuable 
lands in Pennsylvania were taken up. 

A goodly number of the Pennsylvania Dutch settled in what 
became Alamance County and neighboring territory. Those who 
settled in ^Alamance stopped on the fertile banks of the Great 
and Little Alamance and the Stinking Quarter Creeks as well 
as on the banks of the Haw River. Migrating in congregations 
in the 1740's most of these Germans were Lutherans. Ludwig 
Klapp's grant on the Alamance was issued in 1752. Michael Holt 
owned vast possessions a^ong the Great and Little Alamance. 
John Faust had land on Cain Creek and Adam Trollinger on 
the west bank of Haw River, north of the present r.^ilroad cross- 
ing. Christian Foust, Jacob Albrect, Peter Sharp, Jacob Christ- 
man, and David Ephland were other pioneer Germans.^ 

These people had but little to do with the aff'airs of State 
because of their German language. They held no civil office, but 



■Ruth Blackwelder, The Aae of Orange, (Charlotte, 1961), p. 8. 

4 



they made good soldiers when the Cherokee Indians came against 
them. When called from their loom-making, cloth weaving, 
dairying, and agricultural pursuits during the Regulation Move- 
ment they went like a storm as farmers and men of the soil 
are wont to do when called upon to adjust such affairs.- 

By 1773 so many Germans had migrated to western Orange 
that an English traveler had difficulty in finding persons west 
of Hillsborough who understood his language.'- 

These early settlers of Alamance not only brought their 
Bibles (we frequently run across these old German Bibles) but 
they had scarcely reared a log cabin and cleared a few acres 
of land when they began to build a schoolhouse that served as 
a place of worship.^ After better days a more comfortable house 
of worship was reared but near it still stood the schoolhouse. 
The schoolmasters acted as ministers also in most cases. The 
first German Church was a log building near the present Low's 
Lutheran Church and the old Salisbury (Trading Path) Road. 
There two congregations worshipped together. The local school- 
master, and occasionally a traveling preacher, read the scriptures 
to them in German. They sang together the hymns in the 
Gemeinschaftliche Gesanbuch. In some of the early union 
churches, Lutheran services were held one Sunday and Reformed 
Services the following Sunday.'"' 

The present churches of Friedens and St. Paul's were origi- 
nally union Lutheran and Reformed, but by 1771 Friedens had 
become wholly Lutheran and by 1801 St. Paul's had become 
wholly Lutheran. 

These early churches such as Friedens, St. Paul's, Low's, 
Richland, Cobles, and Mount Pleasant were in existence many 
years and "doing a splendid job in their respective communities 
before there was any demand for a Lutheran Church in the 
Company Shops."'' 

As the repult of an act passed by the Legislature of North 
Carolina in January 1849 the N. C. Railroad was incorporated. 
The railroad was to run from Goldsboro to Charlotte by way 
of Hillsboro, Greensboro, Salisbury, a distance cf 223 miles. 



-Snllie W. Stockard, The Histonj of Alamance Countij, (Raleigh, 1900), 
pp. 78-79. 

•■'John F. D. Smyth, A Tour hi The United States of America, (2 vols., 
Dublin, 1784) ; I, p. 153. 

^Stockard, The History of Alamance County, p. 78. 

"Walter Whitaker, Centennial History of Alamance County, (Charlotte, 
1949), p. 109. 

''Eva Christman Clemmer, Histonj of Macedonia Lutheran Church, 
(Burlington, 1959), p. 1. 



General Benjamin Trollinger, who ran the cotton mill at 
Haw River, suggested that the road be constructed by his mill. 
He was willing to build the bridges which would be needed 
across the river. Several other influential men backed up his 
idea. The railroad must come through Alamance County, they 
said. And, so it did. 

Before the first rails were laid, the North Carolina Railroad 
Company selected a location where they could build repair and 
maintenance shops. This location as well as an alternate loca- 
tion did not work out, for many people in Western Alamance 
did not want the railroad shops. 

For the Railroad Company, this was insult added to injury. 
They decided to ignore these impertinent Alamancians. Maybe 
Greensboro would be better, at that. Had not Benjamin Trollin- 
ger come to the rescue at this point, the county might have lost 
the shops altogether. General Trollinger was a man of foresight. 
The railroad, he said, could build shops on his property two 
miles west of Graham. The ofl'er was quickly accepted before 
the General could change his mind, and in his report to the 
stockholders in 1854, the Railroad President announced the 
choice." 

Besides General Trollinger's land, the railroad tract included 
the property of Nancy and Willis Sellars, Henry Tarpley, Steve 
Richardson, and James Fonville.^ 

The shops were finished in 1857 and the village had grown 
to twenty-seven buildings. Thirty-nine white men, twenty negro 
slaves and two free negroes were employed in or around the 
shops." 

The village of Company Shops continued to grow during 
the war years. The completion of several new buildings was 
announced in 1864 to the stockholders of the North Carolina 
Railroad.'" 

Company Shops was Incorporated in February 1866. The 
corporate limits of the town were specified to be a mile and one- 
half square, "having for the center of the same, the Hotel of the 
North Carolina Railroad."" 

The first record of Lutherans in the Company Shops area 
was in 1869. It was "The Little Church In The Wildwood'"- 
just west of what is now Elmira Street about where the Bur- 
lington Industries Mayfair Tricot Plant now stands under a 



'Whitaker, Centennial History of Alamance County, p. 109. 

V6/f/, 109. 

V6k/, 111. ■ 

'"Ibid, 133. 

^^Documents of the North Carolina Legislature, (Ralcig'h, 1866), 

'-Julian Hughes, Burlington Times Netvs, (March 29, 1956). 

6 



brush arbor. This arbor was erected by just a few families 
under the leadership of layman Gideon L. Greeson who was 
the town and community schoolteacher. He was born and reared 
in the Low's Lutheran Church area some 10 or 11 miles west. 
He was the son of Solomon Greeson and the grandson of the 
Rev. Jacob Greeson. The year 1869 was when Ulysses S. Grant 
was inaugurated as President of the United States. At that time 
the only industry in this area to speak of was the North Carolina 
Railroad Shops. Consequently the congregation of the Lutheran 
Church in the wildwood waste of Company Shops consisted of 
only a few persons, including farmers of the neighborhood and 
some of the shophands. Quite likely the house of worship was 
an unpretentious log structure. In April, 1869, the same year 
the brush arbor church was constructed in the Oak Grove at 
Mayfair, these few pioneer citizens of Company Shops and 
vicinity petitioned the Synod which was in session in Friedens 
Lutheran Church near Gibsonville to establish a mission at this 
place, and assist them in support of a regular pastor. 

The Synod granted the request and made the Rev. W. A. 
Julian the pastor. The transaction was at the regular session 
of the Synod, and a congregation was immediately organized. 
At a special session of the Synod held at Salem Lutheran Church, 
Rowan County, in August, 1869, Macedonia Lutheran Church, 
Company Shops, North Carolina was officially received into the 
Synod. 

After Pastor Julian had served for about a year, and follow- 
ing a vacancy of three years until 1873, Simeon Scherer, who 
was pastor of Friedens Lutheran Church and perhaps Low's 
Lutheran Church, became the next pastor serving this parish 
for about three years. 

In February of 1874, the North Carolina Railroad Company, 
which owned considerable land along their track through Com- 
pany Shops, deeded six and % acres of land near the center of 
the town and adjoining the railroad to a Board of Trustees, com- 
posed of W. L. Thorneburg, J. C. Holt, J. G. Moore, A. C. 
McAllister, and Daniel Worth for the purpose of a Union Church. 
After having used the brush arbor for five years the Lutheran 
Church moved into the newly built Union Church. 

The Union Church was a two-story structure held together 
by wooden sills, sleepers, studding and beveled siding. The roof 
was covered with pine shingles and the windows had numerous 
glass panes that were a tempting target for boys who liked to 
throw rocks. 




'Uhion ^vt) 

The Union Church which was the home of the congregation from 1874- 
1879. Courtesy Miss Lila Newman. 




The first permanent home of the congrega- 
tion 1879-1909. 

10 



The Lutheran Mission moved ahead in these early years, 
but progress was very slow just as it was in the town of Com- 
pany Shops for these were the years of reconstruction, and 
there was much building and rebuilding to be done in this 
area as well as the rest of the nation. 

In 1886 the North Carolina Railroad Company decided to 
transfer its operations to Manchester, Virginia, and the rail- 
road offices and shops at Company Shops were closed. 

With the removal of the business which had given the village 
its name. Company Shops threatened to become a ghost town. 
There were a few stores along Main Street, but most of the 
present business district consisted of vacant lots. Three cotton 
mills and the two-year old Burlington Coffin Factory were the 
only sizeable industries in the village. 

Nevertheless, the Railroad Hotel still attracted salesmen and 
visitors, and, depending heavily on their infant industries and 
businesses to see them through to better times, the 1,000 to 
1,500 inhabitants of Company Shops worked to keep the village 
alive. 

In February, 1887, several of the town's leading citizens 
held a meeting for the purpose of selecting a more distinguished 
name for their town. These men. Dr. B. A. Sellars, Dr. R. A. 
Freeman, Captain James A. Turrentine, Joseph A. Holt, J. A. 
McCauley, W. A. Fogleman, and W. A. Erwin, after some de- 
liberation, chose the name "Burlington." 

From 1869 to 1890 the Lutherans were just a mission in this 
little town and were served successively by the Rev. W. A. Julian, 
the Rev. Simeon Scherer, the Rev. Whitson Kimball, the Rev. 
J. L. Buck, R. L. Patterson, C. A. Brown and others, who in 
large part were theological student supplies for summer vaca- 
tions, and supervised by visiting pastors as time would permit. 
This arrangement was maintained until 1890 when the Rev. 
Charles B. Miller was called as pastor of Macedonia. ^-^ 

The congregation of less than 50 members worshiped in the 
Union Church building for five years. Under the able leader- 
ship of the Rev. Whitson Kimball the congregation rai'^ed enough 
money to build a small church building of frame construction. 
The building was completed in 1879, and stood on the South side 



'•'H. P. Wyrick, A Historical Sketch of Macedotiia Lutheran Church, 
(Burlington, 1924). 

11 



of the railroad about where the W. I. Holt residence was later 
built and where the Education Building was later built. 

With a church building exclusively their own, the Lutherans 
began to hold services every Sunday, and in 1890 it became a 
full-fledged member of the Synod. That is to say the church 
had a resident pastor. It had been a member of the Synod and 
was known as the "Macedonia Lutheran Church" since April 
1869, but was still a mission. 

The name "Macedonia" was very appropriately taken from 
the Bible, The Acts, XVI, 10, which reads: "and when he (Paul) 
had seen the vision, immediately we sought to go on into Mace- 
donia, concluding that God had called us to preach the gospel 
to them." 

When the chapel was first built, the front entrance was toward 
Hoke Street. It remained facing Hoke Street until after the 
summer of 1895, when it was turned around and moved to a 
lot on Front Street. At that time a parsonage was built which 
stood at 803 West Front Street until the summer of 1954, al- 
though it had been remodeled from time to time. 

The Rev. C. B. Miller became pastor in 1890 and served 
until 1895. During his pastorate the United States was going 
through what has been called Cleveland's Panic. Collections 
were light and donations were not so liberal, but the good 
preacher trusted in the Lord and the Merchants of Burlington 
trusted him, so, that we may assume that Mr. Miller fared 
reasonably well during the five years. 

Professor J. B. Robertson, who was an authority on the 
early Lutheran Church, said in his historical account of the 
Church: "This period from 1869 to 1895 was a period of real 
struggle and the congregation still numbered less than 50 
members." 

By 1895 the country was beginning to recover from the panic. 
Industries of the town were running about normal and more 
nickels were being dropped in the collection than pennies, and 
the faithful members of the church were catching up on their 
contributions to the pastor's salary. 

So, the membership grew and quite a few improvements of 
church property became noticeable. Then the Rev. V. Y. Boozer 



12 



became pastor. Naturally he lived and worked in much better 
conditions than his predecessor, the Rev. C. B. Miller. 

Mr. Boozer served the church for three years, 1895-1898. 
This was the most successful period in the church history to 
this time. 

The church building of that time, though small and simple 
in construction, was quite impressive. It had a small vestibule 
where the gentlemen of the congregation could leave their hats 
and overcoats, and the ladies could leave their parasoles or 
umbrellas. 

Pastor Boozer was succeeded in 1898 by the Rev. W. W. J. 
Ritchie who was the congregations faithful pastor until 1903. 
During Pastor Ritchie's last year at Macedonia a problem arose 
which necessitated the calling of a special meeting of the Church 
Council. The purpose of the meeting was to investigate the 
trouble between the pastor and Aunt Sue Workman. After the 
meeting it was decided not to accept the pastor's resignation 
and to settle the difficulty in a quiet way. It seems the problem 
arose when Pastor Ritchie, who must have had a special craving 
for "goobers," decided to plant the entire churchyard in 
peanuts.'^ 

The Rev. C. Brown Cox followed Pastor Ritchie and served 
the congregation from 1904 to 1912. Pastor Cox was interested 
and influential in religious and philanthropic movements. He was 
elected president of the Interdenominational Sunday School 
Association of North Carolina. "Chiefly through his persistent 
efforts the Alamance County Ministers' Association was formed, 
which numbers as its members every active minister in the 
county, and was and is a power for temperance and righteous- 
ness in the county."^^' 

In the early part of Pastor Cox's pastorate the congregation 
declared itself self-supporting for up to this time we had been 
receiving financial assistance from the North Carolina Synod 
and the Home Mission Board of the United Lutheran Church 
South. Times were difficult for the struggling congregation as 
is evidenced by the fact that it was almost impossible to raise 
$3 interest on a $50 note. This money was borrowed from one 



^Clemmer, History of Macedonia Lutheran Church, p. 4. 

•W. C. Sundaij School Beacon, Volume VIII, (Raleigh, N. C, Dec, 1908). 



13 



of our members, Isham Ashworth, to help build a barn to house 
Pastor Cox's horse and it cost the congregation approximately 
$100. There was much talk about building a new church and at 
a congregational picnic the subject came up again. The majority 
of the members said, "We can't build because we are already 
in debt." Mr. Ashworth reached into his vest pocket, pulled out 
a slip of paper, struck a match and burned the paper. Then he 
quietly but firmly remarked, "There's no debt now. Let's build." 

So began serious planning for the new church building. The 
lot now occupied by Strickland Funeral Home, was sold to Mr. 
George Fogleman for $500. This was the nucleus of the building 
fund. We can find no record of the cost in dollars and cents of 
the Sanctuary, but we know that the members used in loving 
service the talents with which God had endowed them. John A. 
Bryan was responsible for the brickwork ; L. C. Christman 
assisted by J. J. May and A. C. Mitchel, the woodwork ; W. R. 
Ross after his day's work in the mill came up to the churchyard 
and made all the cement trim on the building. 

The interior furnishings and furnishing were also done by 
our own members. W. J. Younger made the bulletin boards ; 
Martin Noah built the altar, the pulpit and the chancel and 
choir railings ; and Walter Cheek made the Clergy seats. 

All the members, young and old, were given the opportunity 
to use their money and talents in building this church, and it 
was completed in 1909. 

The Rev. C. I. Morgan came to serve us after Pastor Cox's 
departure, staying only eleven months. The Rev. T. S. Brown 
followed the Rev. C. I. Morgan in 1913 and remained until 1922. 
Those were eventful years. The Synod met with our congrega- 
tion twice, in 1914 and 1921. The 1914 Synodical meeting was 
routine, but the meeting in 1921, was historical. In North Caro- 
lina there were two Synods, one called the North Carolina Synod 
and the other the Tennessee Synod. On June 7, 1921, the last 
meeting of the old North Carolina Synod was held in Front 
Street Methodist Church, and at the same time a similar meet- 
ing was being held by the Tennessee Synod in the Lutheran 
Church. Upon completion of preliminary business, each Synod 
adjourned and the N. C. Synodical pastors and delegates marched 
up the streets to Macedonia Lutheran Church to merge with 
their sister Synod to form what is now the North Carolina Synod 
of the Lutheran Church in America. 



14 



On two different occasions during Pastor Brown's pastorate, 
the parsonage caught fire. The first time only the roof was lost 
and this was quickly replaced. On the other occasion the house 
was so nearly destroyed that the insurance company declared 
the building a total loss. This time it was rebuilt and made more 
modern with two rooms being added. It is supposed that some 
valuable church records were lost in this second fire. 

In 1922 the Rev. H. P. Wyrick accepted the congregational 
call and served the parish from 1922 to 1930. Burlington was 
growing and Macedonia grew with it. During his pastorate a 
new Sunday School Annex was erected, at a cost of $13,000 and 
substantial repairs made to the Church and the Church property 
in general. The new Sunday School had a remarkable effect 
upon the growth of the church. This was due in part to the 
New Sunday School Building but perhaps more to an awakened 
interest of the congregation to its obligation to the young life 
of our own Lutheran homes and the youth of the community. 

The Rev. Edward Fulenwider, D. D. began his pastorate 
January 1, 1930. He led the congregation in substantial growth 
and progress. The Church grew in membership and through 
the generosity of Mr. and Mrs. B. V. May additional grounds 
came to the Church. Records show that 281 members were added 
to the rolls during his ten years as Pastor.''' 

The first Vacation Bible School was held in 1931 under the 
supervision of Mrs. B. V. May (Mrs. E. H. Foley). This has 
become an annual event since that time and almost without 
exception. 

During the 1930's Macedonia did not escape the plight the 
entire nation was caught up in, that being the "Great Depres- 
sion." The Church Council was forced to take official action to 
relieve individual members of their pledged obligations on con- 
dition that they make a new pledge and a sincere effort to ful- 
fill it. 

On several occasions the church was saved from embarrass- 
ment by loans from some of its members. However, by hard 
and persistent work on the part of dedicated members and the 
pastor these difficulties were met and the church went forward 
in the work to which it was appointed. 



"''Macedonia Lutheran Church — Seventy-Fifth Anniversary Observance, 
(Burling-ton, 1944), p. 4. 

15 



In March of 1939, a lot willed to the church by the late Isham 
Ashworth was sold for $200. Then on May 3, of the same year 
an announcement was made to the Church Council that Mr. and 
Mrs. B. V, May had purchased the Green property at the rear 
of the church on Webb Avenue and were giving it to the Church. 
A small brick building located on the new property became the 
home for the newly organized Boy Scout Troop #39. This 
building has continued to be called the Scout Hut. 

Just prior to the arrival of the Rev. L. Boyd Hamm who 
came to Macedonia in 1940, the congregation bought a new 
parsonage at a cost of $8,000. The parsonage, which was located 
five blocks from the church on West Front Street, was used 
until 1961. 

Pastor Hamm's pastorate (1940-1946) was a very active 
one. This was due in no small part to the vitality which he 
brought our church, but also the United States was involved 
in a World War for four of these seven years. 

The first Parish Worker employed by the congregation was 
Miss Elizabeth Petrea. She served for a part of 1941. She left 
to become the wife of the Rev. Herman Cauble. 

The congregation agreed in 1941 to pay a proportionate 
sum of money in order that the Burlington City Schools might 
employ a Bible teacher. This has been continued through the 
years. 

In 1942 the Rev. L. David Miller was called as assistant 
pastor and organist. He remained with us a year and was called 
as assistant pastor to Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in New 
York City. 

A kindergarten was started at Macedonia in 1943, but had 
to be closed in 1949. It seems that Macedonia was premature 
in this area for there was not enough interest to maintain it. 

The members of Macedonia did not lack patriotism for dur- 
ing the War many of the congregational sons died in action 
and many more endured hardships and brought honor to our 
country, our state, our community, and our church. The ladies 
of the church also served the patriotic cause. They came to 
the Sunday School Annex and served for the Red Cross. The 
women and young people also took their turns in serving at 
the U. S. O. Center in our City. The grounds to the rear of the 

16 



church were offered to the C. S. 0. for drill exercise on Tuesdays 
and Thursdays. 

Macedonia at one time had the finest playground facilities 
in this area. The playground was opened in the afternoon to 
the children of the community. Members of the congregation 
gave their time and materials for building bowling alleys, shuffle 
board, tennis courts, and other recreational facilities. Some 
furnished equipment for playing games such as croquet, bad- 
minton, tennis, and others. 

The Rev. J. L. Norris and his family came to Macedonia 
in 1947. His family included three teen-agers which proved to 
be an inspiration to the young people of the congregation. 

On April 3, 1949, at a congregational meeting it was moved 
that a Building Committee be appointed to secure plans and 
specifications to be presented to the congregation for ratifica- 
tion. In 1952 plans for the Educational Building were almost 
complete and early in 1953 the Building Committee (J. M. 
Bryan, Sr., Myron Rhyne, R. R. Isenhour) had made final cor- 
rections. By July 1953, plans had been accepted and contracts 
awarded for a total of $196,984.00 with the total cost includ- 
ing drainage pipe and ground improvement approximately 
$207,000.00. The Accumulated Building Fund amounted to 
$95,166.33. It was on Sunday, July 26, 1953, that the ground 
was broken for the Educational Building and on June 17, 1954, 
the building was ready for inspection. Then came the task of 
the furnishings. The adult classes provided furniture for their 
classrooms. Many necessary pieces of equipment were given 
by individuals. Finally everything was ready for occupancy 
and the formal opening was the first Sunday in August, 1954. 

Dr. Norris, at the request of the National Lutheran Council, 
was granted three months leave of absence in May of 1950 to 
serve in Europe on the Displaced Persons Program. This was 
a great honor to both Dr. Norris and the congregation to have 
been selected for so important a task. 

In 1951, A. H. Fogleman, a faithful and devout member, 
died and left certain monies to establish an aid fund. His will 
read : "Then after my personal and real property has been dis- 
posed of, either by private or public sale, one-tenth of the amount 
after bills are paid, I bequeath to Macedonia Lutheran Church 
for a fund to help the poor and distressed, any race or nation- 
ality." 

17 



Dr. Norris constantly tried to keep the youth interested in 
the church and its activities. On October 2, 1954, our first Week 
Day Church School opened. The school has steadily grown and 
in 1969, 101 were enrolled. At this school, catechetical classes, 
the church liturgy and other phases of religious education are 
taught in order that even the very young may participate in 
the worship service of the church. 

In 1956, an amendment was made to the church constitution 
which permitted women to serve on the Church Council. And 
for the first time in the history of the church, two ladies, Mrs. 
E. H. Foley and Mrs. Eva C. Clemmer, were ejected to this 
governing body of our church. 

Dr. Norris left us in November, 1957 to accept a call to 
Grace Lutheran Church in Hendersonville, N. C. and until June 
15, 1958, the congregation was without a regular pastor. Thanks 
to the teachers and students of the Southern Lutheran Theo- 
logical Seminary of Columbia, South Carolina, we did not miss 
a Morning Worship Service. This helped to hold the congrega- 
tion together. 

The Rev. W. F. Milholland, a graduate of our Southern Theo- 
logical Seminary, was called by the congregation. Not having 
had a pastor fresh from the Seminary since 1895, when the 
Rev. V. Y. Boozer came, the church hardly knew what to expect. 
It took little time for activity to begin. 

During Pastor Milholland's three year stay at Macedonia 
many significant things happened. One-hundred and ninety-one 
new members were received and the debt on the educational 
building was liquidated. A building committee was set up to 
begin planning for a new sanctuary. Probably the most signifi- 
cant accomplishment during this period was the beginning of 
the new mission congregation, Messiah Lutheran Church. Mace- 
donia gave the new church one thousand dollars and transferred 
forty-four adult members and twenty-two children to Messiah. 
There were some who were concerned that the new mission 
would hurt Macedonia, but the opposite proved to be true when 
both off'erings and attendance at Macedonia increased. On August 
31, 1961, the Rev. Milholland left Macedonia to accept a call 
as pastor of Christ Lutheran Church, Roanoke, Virginia. 

The Rev. Hoyle L. Whiteside followed the Rev. W. L. Mil- 
holland as Pastor of Macedonia. With Pastor Whiteside came 
his youthful and energetic wife as well as two fine children. 

18 



He began his pastorate on October 31, 1961, and not long after 
their arrival the congregation on November 19, 1961 voted to 
purchase a new parsonage on 2226 Edgewood Avenue. 

On December 16, 1962 the congregation was forced to move 
from the old church sanctuary into the Sunday School assembly 
room for Sunday Morning Worship Services due to a furnace 
breakdown. It was apparent that the congregation would either 
have to approve major repairs to the old sanctuary or put spe- 
cial emphasis on the efforts of the building committee which 
had been organized while Rev. Milholland was there to build 
a new sanctuary. With the vigorous and eft'ective leadership 
of Pastor Whiteside, Mr. Willis G. Boland, Mr. J. M. Bryan, Sr. 
and many others it was not long before definite plans were 
readied for congregational approval. The Carroll property, which 
adjoined the Church property on Front Street was purchased. 
This was approved by the congregation on March 24, 1963. The 




Picture of 3rd Church Building 1909-1962 



19 




The congre 




ion in 1969. 




in 



22 



congregation voted unanimously to accept the plans for the 
new Sanctuary as recommended by the Church Council, and to 
let the contract for its construction at a called meeting on Sep- 
tember 29, 1963. The ground breaking for the new sanctuary 
was in October 1963, and by February 28, 1965 everything was 
ready for the Service of Dedication. 

The growth of the congregation has been outstanding during 
the 1960's. The established membership as well as the many new 
members who have come into the congregation seemed to gain 
a new vitality. Participation in the many church programs has 
been very broad. 

In September 1967, Mr. William Batterman came to Mace- 
donia as Assistant to the Pastor with primary responsibilities 
in the area of Youth Work and Christian Education. As a result 
of Mr. Batterman's work the activities and programs of our 
youth groups were accelerated to a new level. Mr. Batterman 
remained at Macedonia until May, 1968 when he accepted a 
call as pastor to New Covenant Lutheran Church in High Point. 
He was followed by Mr. Jerry Schumm in September of 1968. 
Mr. Schumm's official title is Director of Youth Ministry. The 
efforts of both of these young men have been outstanding. The 
high point of this activity was the presentation of a folk mass 
on January 26, 1969. 

In June of 1968, the Rev. E. K. Bodie, who had retired from 
full time ministry came to Macedonia as an Assistant to Pastor 
Whiteside. His efforts with the older members of our congre- 
gation as well as the congregation at large have been very 
rewarding. 

Macedonia has had the rare privilege of having the North 
Carolina Synod hold two of its annual meetings here in the 
past four years. The Synod met in May, 1965 at Macedonia for 
the first time in forty-four years, and again in May, 1969. The 
1965 meeting was related to the dedication of our new sanctuary 
and the 1969 meeting was held at Macedonia in conjunction 
with the 100th anniversary of the congregation. 

Macedonia today is still growing. It still has a healthy con- 
cern for the community as well as for itself-displaying that 
concern through individual services performed by many mem- 
bers of the congregation and its pastor. 



23 







> 



.2 m 



= ^ 



-C C CD 



^ 




• i-< 


^. rt 






n, O 


Xi -^ 


a 




So 

3 t- 


T3 


-a 




OJ T3 




.fj> 


73 0) 


> 




fH r3 


rt 




£ o 


X cd 


"> 






^S 


3 




— ^ 


-1^ . 


"-= 




« ^ 






C3 T3 


cu ^2 C 


X 




C C 


^.£ =« 






'^ c3 


73 


-M 




O 


S "^ i> 

^ ^ ^' 
-* - 








nj 




T— 1 


CO ^ OJ 


rQ 




X 


Ci a>x 






+-" c 


,-H^ +3 


O 




eH -r-i 




^ 




O 


3 0) C 


-(J 




^ 2 


•Sx-^ 


-u 




^2 


3 OJD 

? CO •-! 


73 




+-> +j 


;£ -^-' 


o 




>r5, 


3 


o 


bjj 


xm 


Ceo 


"" 


C 


T3 tn 


!h -^ 3 

" 


1> 


-5 


0; o 


-tJ !h 


-G 




ifi 


73 -1-^ ? 






<A • 


-OX 


3 > 


rt cS ^ 

t« 73 


0/ ' 

> 


L4 


a g 


eg 


"a; 
a 


3 

o 

-3 

c 




-I1 


05 


=*-( 


^E 


oi^-S 


0) 
-3 


o 


— >. 


r-5 C 

~ <5 O) 


4J 




73 


.2 a' 

P 73 


c* 


o 


4: rt 


>_; cs 


O 


3 

en 
01 
T3 





C_5 . 



I ^ pC o; 



a;5H^^5^ 



24 



PASTORS 




W. A. Julian 
1869-1870 



Photo 
Not 

Available 

Simeon Scherer 
1873-1876 




Whitson Kimball 
1876-1880 



Photo 

Not 

Available 

J. L. Buck 
1882-1887 



25 




Stu. C. A. Brown 
1889 




C. B. Miller 
1890-1895 




V. Y. Boozer 
1895-1898 



Photo 

Not 

Available 



W. W. J. Ritchie 
1898-1903 



26 




C. B. Cox 
1904-1912 








C. I. Morgan 
1912-1913 




T. S. Brown 
1913-1922 




H. P. Wyrick 
1922-1930 



27 





Edward Fulenwider 
1930-1940 



L. Boyd Hamm 
1940-1946 




J. L. Norris 
1947-1957 



28 




W. L. Milholland 
1958-1961 




Hoyle L. Whiteside 
1961- 



29 



MISS CLEMENTINE SELLARS 




Miss Clementine Sellars, affectionately known as "Miss Clem" 
is the oldest living member of Macedonia Lutheran Church. 
Daugher of Thomas and Mrs. Margaret Ann Sellars "Miss Clem"' 
was born January 26, 1875 at the homeplace on Union Avenue, 
Burlington, then known as Company Shops. 

"Miss Clem" was baptized by supply Pastor W. B. Cook at 
Macedonia in October 1888. She is a charter member of Mace- 
donia Lutheran Church Women which was known as Macedonia 
Woman's Missionary Society when she joined in 1895. 
From 1912-1918 "Miss Clem" was employed at the Lutheran 
Children's Home of the South in Salem, Virginia where sho 
taught sewing to the girls. 

For a number of years "Miss Clem" was a Sunday School teacher 
at Macedonia and was active in all phases of church work. 
At the present time "Miss Clem" resides at the North Carolina 
Lutheran Home in Hickory, North Carolina. 



30 



CHURCH COUNCIL 




FIRST ROW. Left to Right— Mr. M. A. Boehm. Mr. Kenneth B. Boland. 
Mrs. Fred E. Fuqua, Mr. Georg'e M. Keck. Mr. "Wade Dodson. SECOND 
ROW— Mr. AVillis G. Boland, Mr. Joe R. Keenan. Dr. Robert A. Watson, 
Mr. L. Glenn Ford. Mr. R. Don Russell, Pastor Hoyle L, Whiteside. THIRD 
ROW— Mr. Roy D. Apple, Mr. Robert A. Lentz. Mr. Amel H, Fuqua, Mr, 
Floyd Thompson, Mr. Thomas B, DeLoache, Jr., [Mr. Donald L. I\Iatkin5, 
Mr. Grover W. Moore, Mr. Boyd L. Black. NOT PICTURED— Dr. Dwight 
T. Kernodle, Mr. Frederick J. Sternberg, Mr. Carl F, Turbvfill. 



31 



ROLL OF MEMBERS 



Adams, Roy C. 

Mrs. Roy (Jean Paula) 

Kurt Luke, Joel Young 
Aldridge, William 

Mrs. William (Anne) 

Anne, Janet 
Allred, Alvin, Jr. 

Mrs. Alvin, Jr. (Juanita) 

Richie Lee, Wayne, Joel Edward, 

Sandra Lynn, Patty, 

Brvon Douglas 
Allred, Alvin, Sr. 

Mrs. Alvin, Sr. (Catherine) 
Allred, Mrs. Mark (Nancy Lashley) 

Laurie Marie 
Apple, Mrs. Leonard (Carol* 

Sharon Lynn, Nancy Carol 
Apple, Roy D. 

Mrs. Roy D. (Evelyn) 

William, John Mark, David, 

Robert, Daniel 
Bailey, R. Oscar 
Baldwin, Mrs. Berta Mae 

Ernie, Franklin 
Baldwin, Thomas 
Barnes, Carroll Eric 
Barnes, Rickey 

Mrs. Rickey (Ellen Keenan) 
Barnes, William Allen 

Mrs. William (Ellen) 

Kathryn Ann, Karen Lynn 
Barneycastle, Mrs. A. E. (Alvania) 
Barringer, Dwight R. 

Mrs. Dwight R. (Cleo) 

Mary Joyce 
Beckom, Mrs. Elaine 
Beckom, J. D. 
Bendigo, E. L 

Mrs. E. L (Mae) 
Bevan, Mrs. R. D., Jr. (Helen) 

Robert Douglas, III 
Bivens, Thomas Alton 

Mrs. T. A. (Charlotte) 

Kenneth Alton, Charlotte Ann 
Bjerk, Mrs. Edward (Ella) 
Black, Boyd Lee 

Mrs. Boyd Lee (Betsy) 

Lawrence, Frederick William, 

Samuel 
Black, Ellon B. 

Mrs. Ellon (Elizabeth) 

William B., Katherine Jane, 

Robert Ellon, Judith Loraine, 

Cvnthia Ann 
Black, Paul R. 

Mrs. Paul R. (Thames) 

Mickey 
Black, Mrs. Zelma 



Black, Mrs. Howard T. (Marie) 

Carman, Howard, Jr. 
Bodie, Rev. Earl K. 

Mrs. Earl (Annie Belle) 
Boehm, M. A. (Bud) 

Mrs. M. A. (Polly) 
Boland, Jrs. C. J. (Mamie) 
Boland, Carlton Brown 

Mrs. Carlton (Polly) 

Linda Diane, Carlton, Jr. 
Boland, Kenneth B. 

Mrs. Kenneth (Geneva) 

Jeanette, Charles, Angela 
Boland, W. D. 

Mrs. W. D. (Lottie) 
Boland, Willis Grey 

Mrs. Willis (Christine) 
Boley, Harry P., Jr. 

Mrs. Harry P., Jr. (Barbara) 

Michael, Jean Marie 
Bond, Howard 

Mrs. Howard (Ruth) 

Jeffrey, Roger, Diane 
Boone, Mrs. C. H. (Frances) 
Bost, E. L. 

Maude 
Bowman, Russell, L. 

Mrs. R. L. (Johnsie) 
Brendle, Ronnie A. 

Mrs. Ronnie (Diane) 

Chalese Dawn 
Brooks, Robert 

Mrs. Robert (Virginia) 

Susan 
Brown, James Gilbert 

Mrs. James (Peggy) 

James Gilbert, II 
Bryan, Curry E., Jr. 

Mrs. Curry E. (Irma) 

Leigh, Billy, Curry, II, 

Martha Hope 
Bryan, Jennings M., Jr. 

Mrs. Jennings M., Jr. (Eloise) 

J. M., Ill 
Bryan, Mrs. Jennings, Sr. (Letha) 
Bryan, Richard H. 

Mrs. Richard H. (Ila) 

Richard, David H., Jo Anna 
Bryant, George Arlen 

Mrs. George Arlen (Janice) 

Robert Arlen, David Michael, 

Daniel Mark, John Ross 
Bryan, Mrs. Worth (Grace) 
Bryan, William B. 

Mrs. William B. (Ann) 

John 
Burgess, Chester Walton, III 

Mrs. Chester W. (Becky) 



32 



Byers, Cheryle 

Byers, Leonard Wayne 

Mrs. L. Wayne (Nancy) 
Campbell, Mrs. Brenda 

Lowell Todd 
Castagna, Mrs. Sam (Billie) 

Samuel Nathan, Anthony Correll 
Carter, Mrs. Quincey A., Sr. 

(Janie LaVinnie) 
Chance, Charles, Jr. 

Mrs. Charles, Jr. (Vickie) 

Crystalynne Michelle 
Chance, Mrs. Charles, Sr. (Winnie) 

Mary Lynn 
Clemmer, Mrs. Eva 
Clemmer, Lewis C. 

Mrs. Lewis (Pearl) 

Louise, Lawrence, Eva 
Cobb, Coy 

Mrs. Cov (Beulah) 
Cobb, Paul E. 

Mrs. Paul (Elizabeth) 

Richard 
Cobb, Paul E., Jr. 
Coble, Henry Clay 

Mrs. Henry Clay (Bernice) 

Frederick Cyrus 
Coble, Wade 

Mrs. Wade (Agnes) 
Coble, Worth D. 

Mrs. Worth (Geneva) 
Chambers, Harry T. 

Mrs. Harry T. (Shirley) 

Carlee Howell, Dolly 
Coley, Mrs. W. L. (Ollie) 
Conatser, Derek 

Kathryn LeAnne 
Copland, James R.. Jr. 

Mrs. J. R., Jr. (Lilliam) 
Copland, J. R., Ill 

Mrs. J. R., Ill (Harriett) 
Copland, Ronald 

Mrs. Ronald (Sharon) 

Catherine Paige 
Cox, Alan 

Mrs. Alan (Barbara) 

William Alan, Patrick Leland 
Coyner, E. Harper 

Mrs. E. Harper (Ruth) 
Crabill, Mrs. C. Clark (Edna) 

Cynthia Ann 
Cepas, Mrs. K. V. (Lidija) 
Crane, Mrs. Anne 

William Benjamin, Tom 
Creech, Mrs. Kermit (Blanche) 

Carol 
Crumpler, John 

Mrs. John (Rena) 

John Christopher, Gregory 



Crowson, Paul F. 

Mrs. Paul F. (Clara) 

Danna Farrar 
Curry, James 

Mrs. James (Eva) 
Dahl, Ernest B. 

Mrs. Ernest B. (Ollie) 

Ernest Byron, David DeMoss 
Darlington, Fred, III 

Mrs. Fred (Vicki) 

Julia Collins 
Davis, Jrs. Carl (Tut) 

Sandra, Theresa 
Davis, Fred Y. 

Mrs. Fred (Carol) 

Monica Lynnette 
Davis, Mrs. Ruth 
DeLoache, T. B., Jr. 

Mrs. T. B., Jr. (Sara) 

T. B., Ill, Nancy Pollack, George 
DeLoache, Mrs. T. B., Sr. (Julia) 
Devoe, Mrs. Amherst 
Dillberger, Edward 

Mrs. Edward (Elaine) 

John Edward. Robert 
Dodson, Wade E. 

Mrs. Wade E. (Louise) 

Richard K. Sharpe 
Dunn, Mrs. Esther 
DuPree, Mrs. John P. (Helen Buff) 
DeBoard, Charles Lacv 

Mrs. Charles L. (Pat) 

Maria Gayle, Craig Young 
Earnhardt, John 

Mrs. John (Jean) 

David Chandler, Philip Andrews 
Edwards, John William 
Edwards, Mrs. Margaret G. 
Edwards, Col. Raymond F. 

Mrs. Raymond F. (Elma) 
Faggart, R. L. 

Mrs. R. L. (Ann) 
Ferrell, Mrs. Robert E. (Jane) 
Ferrell, Kenneth 

Mrs. Kenneth (Faye) 

Lisa Carol 
File, M. L. 
Fogleman, A. Brown 

Mrs. A. Brown (Gwendolyn) 

Donald 
Fogleman, Hal Morton 

Mrs. Hal (Ruth) 
Fogleman, John P. 

Mrs. John P. (Savannah) 
Fogleman, Joseph H. 

Mrs. Joseph H. (Dorothy) 

Harold Lee 
Foley, Mrs. E. H. (Louise) 
Ford, Harold Grant 



33 



Ford, L. Glenn 

Mrs. L. Glenn (Lelia) 

Christine, Lee, Craven 
Frye, Mrs. J. L. 
Fuqua, Amel H. 

Mrs. Amel H. (Grethel) 
Fuqua, Fred E. 

Mrs. Fred (Edna) 

Ladd, Fredda 
Fuqua, Larry W. 

Mrs. Larry W. (Rebecca) 

Alice Dunn 
Fuqua, Mrs. Neita 
Gaston, John T. 

Mrs. John T. (Helen) 

Patricia Diane, Katherine, Sandra 
Gee, Wallace W. 

Mrs. Wallace (Edna Pearl) 

John Franklin 
Gentry, Herbert 

Mrs. Herbert (Katherine) 

Larry Wayne 
Gilliam, Don 

Mrs. Don (Rozanne) 

Kimberly Paige 
Gilliam, John J. 

Mrs. John J. (Hilda) 

John Jacob, Jr., Jesse Kingsland 
Gladden, Gene 
Glenn, Ross W. 

Mrs. Ross W. (Allie) 
Goodman, Clyde 

Dale Mclver 
Graves, Mrs. C. L. (Sarah) 
Graves, James H., Jr. 

Mrs. James H., Jr. (Katherine) 

Katherine Jennifer 
Graves, J. Harold, Sr. 

Mrs. J. Harold (Jackie) 
Greene, Lloyd C. 
Gruenhagen, James 

Mrs. James (Pat) 
Hahn, Arlie Alexander 

Mrs. Arlie A. (Alda) 

Barbara, Arlie, Jr. 
Hall, Anthony (Tony) 

Mrs. Anthony (Martha Jo) 

Charles Daniel 
Haney, Charles 

Mrs. Charles (Katherine) 

Ibby 
Halbert, Mrs. W. S. (Kay) 
Harless, Jack L. 

Mrs. Jack (Joyce) 

Jeremy Leland 
Hansen, Thomas A. 

Mrs. Thomas A. (Betty) 

Tommy, Jr., Sheryle Lynn, 

Kenneth Michael 
Harris, Charles Ralph 

Mrs. Charles (Sylvia) 

Loria Ann 



Hatley, James H. 

Mrs. James H. (Sadie) 

Karen James H., Ill 
Haynes, Mrs. W. W. (Frances) 
Heritage, Mrs. James H. (Eileen) 
Hiller, Kermit E. 

Mrs. Kermit E. (Beverly) 

Dennis Edward, Deborah, Denise 
Hallsey, Jim B. (Mrs.) 
Hines, James 

Mrs. James (Betty) 

Deborah, Jimmy 
Heilig, Harry Brown 

Mrs. Harry (Eunice) 

Lisa Ann, Jeffrey Neil 
Hodges, Mrs. David (Barbara) 
Holt, Mrs. D. C. (Irene) 
Holt, Daniel Lewis 

Mrs. Daniel Lewis (Rachel) 
Holt, Roger M. 

Mrs. Roger (Martha) 

Rodney Monroe, Bruce, Phyliss 
Hooper, Fred Veach 
Hopkins, David C. 
Hopkins, Grover Lewis, Jr. 

Mrs. Grover L. (Betty) 
Hopkins, Mrs. Grover L., Sr. 

( Dessie) 
Hopkins, Bennie Lee 

Mrs. Bennie (Ann) 
Hopkins, Mark Lewis 

Mrs. Mark (Vivian) 

Clifton Ray, Kenneth, 

Mark Lewis, Jr., Cynthia, 

Vivian Ann, Earl 
Hopkins, Orbin C. 

Mrs. Orbin C. (Mattie) 
Home, S. Allen 

Mrs. S. Allen (Dollie) 
Horner, Mrs. Hadley (Louise) 

Patricia Ann, Elizabeth Louise, 

Jr., Elizabeth Brent 
Horner, Mrs. Martin, Sr. (Emily) 

Martin, E., Jr. 
Hunley, J. Henry 

Mrs. J. Henry (Alice) 

Randy Michael 
Irwin, Richard 

Mrs. Richard (Linda) 

Robert Brittain 
Isley, Mrs. C. Ray (Bonnie) 
Isley, Michael M. 

Mrs. M. M. (Sara) 
Isley, Phillip L. 

Mrs. Phillip L. (Drusilla) 
Isley, W. K. 

Mrs. W. K. (Ruth) 
Isley, Billy Martin 

Mrs. Billy (Frankie) 
JefTeries, William N. 

Mrs. William N. (Sarah) 

William T. 



34 



Jeffcoat, Lloyd E. 
Jenkins, F. Alfred 

Mrs. F. Alfred (Alice) 
Jensen, Eric- 
Mrs. Eric (Amanda) 

Karen Edith, John Eric 
Johnson, Donald L. 

Mrs. Donald L. (Nancy) 

Lorimer Anne, Christie Leigh 
Johnson, Donald E. 

Mrs. Donald (Sylvia) 

Cynthia Gray, Donald Wayne 
Johnson, Lester 

Mrs. Lester (Betty) 

Meredith, Christine, Marjorie 
Jones, C. Macon 

Mrs. C. Macon (Elizabeth) 

Kenneth, Thomas E. 
Kanipe, Lloyd Alfred 

Mrs. Lloyd (Judy) 

Lanya Michelle 
Keck, George M. 

Mrs. George (Geneva) 

George Arnold 
Keenan, Joe R. 

Mrs. Joe R. (Dorothy) 

Susan 
Keller, Mrs. Henry F. (Virginia) 
Kernodle, Dr. Dwight Talmadge 

Mrs. Dwight (Grace) 

Dwight, Jr., Jane Harriet, 

Ann Grace 
Ketner, Dr. Calvin L. 

Mrs. Calvin L. (Lucille) 
Ketner, Cletus J. 

Mrs. Cletus J. (Harriet) 
Ketner, Walter Jack 

Mrs. W. Jack (Hilda) 

Cynthia, Jack 
Kilpatrick, Glenn 

Mrs. Glenn (Faye) 

David Paul 
Kimbro, Mrs. Norene 
King, Charles Edwin 

Mrs. Edwin (Mary Lee) 

Charles Edwin, II 
Kingsmore, Harry 
Kivett, Mrs. T. H. (Lorah) 
Kock, Charles J., Jr. 
Lail, Fred R. 

Mrs. Fred (Martha) 

Fred, Jr. 
Ledbetter, Louis Richard 

Mrs. Louis Richard (Judith Gail 

Christina Marie, Suzanne Dee 
Lentz, Robert A. 

Mrs. Robert (Betty) 

Ann, Robert, Sue 
Leonard, Mrs. C. A. (Gladys) 
Lindsey, Carl 
Lookabill, Miss Odessa 
Loy, Mrs. Charles W. 



Martin, Charles Eugene 

Mrs. C. Eugene (Carolyn) 

Liza, Pete, Kirk, Joe 
Martin, R. P. 

Mrs. R. P. (Carole) 

Teresa Ann, Gregory Lee 
Masten, Henry 

Mrs. Henry (Martha) 
Matkins, Donald L. 

Mrs. Donald (Ruth Whittecar) 
May, D. Eugene 
May, Emanuel, Jr. 

Mrs. Emanuel (Rachel) 
May, Emanuel, III 

Mrs. Emanuel, III (Diane) 
May, W. W. 
Meachem, J. Manley 

Mrs. J. Manley (Trudie) 

Johnny 
Mebane, Mrs. W. W. (Margaret) 

Miss Nina L. 
Metts, Mrs. Carey G, III 
McAllister, Larry B. 

Mrs. Larry B. (Edna) 

Larry Bikle, Jr., Thomas Frank, 

Barbara Ann 
McCauley, Mrs. O. W. (Irene) 
McClintock, Mrs. Charles (Barbara) 

Beverly, Ada Richy, Charles, Jr. 
McKeel, Miss Beulah 
McKeon, Mrs. Jack (Carol Jean) 
McKinney, Joseph A. 

Mrs. Joe (Rita) 

Christopher 
McNair, Mrs. Patricia 

Kathleen Lynn, Bill, Mike, David 
McPherson, William King- 
Mrs. William K. (Ingrid) 

Michelle Rosa 
Miller, William R. 

Mrs. Bill (Marie) 

Thomas, Patricia, Christine 
Mitchell, H. F., Jr. 

Mrs. H. F., Jr. (Ruth) 

Lea 
Mitchell, James Clair 

James Clair, III 
Moehring, Paul A. 

Mrs. Paul A. (Miriam) 

Janice Ellen, John Christian, 

Kenneth Allen 
Moore, G. William 

Mrs. G. William (Jane) 
) Julia Elizabeth, Grover W., Jr., 

Susan Willis 
Moore, Miss Catherine Willis 
Moore, Miss Mamie 
Moore, R. Keith 

Mrs. R. Keith (Kathryn) 

R. Keith, Jr. 
Moore, Zeb V. 

Mrs. Zeb V. (Ola) 

Aaron, David, Linda 

35 



Moser, Miss Anne D. 

Miss Sallie 
Murray, Edward L. 

Mrs. Edward L. (Edna) 

Tommy, Lane 
Murray, Dr. Henry V., Sr. 

Mrs. Henry V. (Maude) 
Murrie, Ira C. 

Mrs. Ira C. (Lottie) 
Newton, Milton G. 

Mrs. Milton (Molly) 

Steve 
Needham, Mrs. Mathom, Jr. 

(Elizabeth) 
Norcom, Charlie W., Jr. 

Mrs. Charlie W. (Sarah) 

Mary Ann 
Owen, Lacy B., Jr. 

Mrs. Lacy B., Jr. (Jane) 

John Alan, Lee Ann 
Paige, Ronnie 
Patton, Daniel C. 

Mrs. Daniel C. (Violet) 

Danny, Denise Carolyn, Cheryl 
Patton, Mrs. J. D. (Annie) 
Pennington, Carlos A. 

Mrs. Carlos A. (Smithy) 

Daniel Worth, Carlos Bryan 
Perry, W. M. 

Mrs. W. M. (Lois) 
Peterson, Grady F. 

Mrs. Grady F. (Imogene) 

Grady Fuqua, Catherine Lynn 
Petrea, Luke P. 

Mrs. Luke P. (Raymelle) 
Phillips, Moody 

Mrs. Moody (Myra) 
Pickard, Charles F. 

Mrs. Charles F. (Elizabeth) 
Poovey, William A. 

Mrs. William A. (Mamie) 
Poovey, William P. 

Mrs. William (Patricia) 

Robert Alan, Jennifer Lynn, 

Karen Elizabeth 
Pardue, David E., Jr. 

Mrs. David E. (Rebecca) 

David E., Ill 
Pittard, Mrs. David (Nancy) 

Michael David, Jr. 
Ray, Mrs. Malon P. (Doris) 
Ray, James M. 

Mrs. James M. (Bette) 

Tammy Suzanne 
Reinhardt, Ned E. 

Mrs. Ned (Ruth) 

Christy Dawn, Neal Alan 
Reinke, John H. 

Mrs. John H. (Norma) 

Dawn, Karen Gay, Panela 
Reitzel, Miss Blanche C. 
Reitzel, Virgil Y. 



Renegar, Richard G. 

Mrs. Richard (Linda) 
Rethaford, Willis 

Mrs. Willis (Rebecca) 

Michele Lynn 
Rhyne, Myron 

Mrs. Myron (Sarah) 

Sarah Janet 
Rhodes, Elbert F. 

Mrs. Elbert F. (Lorene) 
Rhodes, Franklin P. 

Mrs. Franklin (Grace) 

Barbara Ann, Robert, Gail 
Rick, Carl W., Jr. 
Riddle, Egbert A. 

Mrs. Egbert A. (Lavie) 
Roensch, A. O. (Dick) 

Mrs. A. O. (Jean) 

Rhonda Lea 
Rowe, Mrs. Robert A. (Pearl) 
Royster, Mrs. W. F. (Sadie) 
Rudd, Mrs. Frank P. (Flossie) 

Helen 
Rudisill, Michael E. 

Mrs. Michael E. (Theo) 

(Martin) Henry, Theo (Frazier), 

(John) Roland, Virginia (Yvonne) 
Russell, Donald 

Mrs. Donald (Jane) 

Douglas Page, Andrew Gordon 
Scott, H. Edwin 

Mrs. H. Edwin (Bertha) 

Tony 
Schulz, Paul Martin, Jr. 

Mrs. Paul M. (Ellen) 

Eric Davis 
Scott, Eddie Wayne 
Sharpe, Adrian 
Sharpe, Roy H. 

Mrs. Roy H. (Barbara) 

Cynthia Ellen, Karen Lynne 
Shoffner, Mrs. Jesse (Maggie) 
Shoffner, Joseph E. 

Mrs. Joseph (Ola) 

Joseph E., Jr. 
Simpson, Mrs. W. M. (Virginia) 
Sloop, Larry E. 

Mrs. Larry E. (Judy) 

Wendy, Kevan 
Smith, Mrs. Stan (Linda) 

Tammy Rene 
Snyder, Calvin 

Mrs. Calvin (Janet) 

David Lee, Robert Edward, 

Howard James, Terry Jo, 

Lynn Marie, Tracy Jean, 

William Thomas 
Starr, Mrs. Donald (Dorothy) 

John Arthur, Michael Dale 
Steele, Kenneth L. 

Miss Nellie G. 



36 



Sternberg, Frederick 

Mrs. Frederick (Elizabeth) 

Scott Frederick, Tracy Elizabeth 
Stone, Hoyte Eday 

Hoyte E., Jr., Barry Edward 
Stousland, Olav 

Mrs. Olav (Rachel) 

Williamson, Tommy, Neal 
Strange, Mrs. C. Gilbert (Helen) 
Stuber, Clarence A. 

Mrs. Clarence A. (Genevieve) 

Stephen Lynn, Sharon Kay, 

Ronald Dean 
Sullivan, James V. 

Mrs. James V. (Beulah) 
Sumner, Herbert W. 

Mrs. Herbert W. (Frances) 

Stephen Wayne 
Thomas, Mrs. Richard (Mildred) 
Thompson, Floyd V. 

Mrs. Flovd V. (Estelle) 

William H. 
Thompson, Forris 

Mrs. Forris (Judy) 

Gary, Timothy, Harold 
Thompson, Kent B. 
Tickle, Dwight D. 

Mrs. Dwight D. (Beulah) 
Tickle, Mrs. Alyse 

Gary 
Tickle, James V., Sr. 

Mrs. James V., Sr. (Lutie) 
Tolley, Jerry R. 

Mrs. Jerrv (Joan) 
Travis, George 
Trollinger, William H. 
Troutman, Hanson D. 

Mrs. Hanson D. (Peggy) 

Eleanor, Eric 
Turbyfill, Carl 

Mrs. Carl (Kathleen) 

Barbara, Kenneth Dean 
Turner, George A. 

Mrs. George A. (Jewel) 

Tommy Allen, Panela, 

Danny Milton 
Van Fleet, Lester Gene 

Mrs. L. G. (Linda) 

Darryl Gene, Danny Craig 
Walker, Dr. John B., Jr. 

Mrs. John B., Jr. (Piggi) 

John Barrett, III, 

Patricia Ruth (Patty) 
Walker, Michael H. (Mickey) 

Mrs. Mickey (GG) 
Wallace, Norman H. 
Warschkow, Fritz 

Mrs. Fritz (Ingeborg) 

Philip, Heide 
Watson, Dr. Robert 

Mrs. Robert (Sue) 



Jane Lee, Whitney McRee, 

Kimberly Sue 
Way, G. Winfred, Sr. (Poots) 

Mrs. G. W. (Pearl) 

George W., Jr., Sylvia 
Wells, Charles H. 

Mrs. Charles H. (Sylvia) 
Whiteside, Rev. Hoyle L. 

Mrs. Hoyle L. (Anne) 

Susan Rebekah, Hoyle Lee, Jr. 
Williams, Clyde F. 

Mrs. Clyde F. (Ruth) 

Donald, Richard Michael 
Willis, Mrs. H. H. (Betsy) 

Susan Beth, David 
Wilson, M. Joel 

Mrs. M. Joel (Barbara) 
Wolfe, Mrs. J. Donald (Mary Ella) 
W^olfgang, Will W. 

Mrs. Will (Jane) 

Bonnie Beth 
Woodruff, John 

Mrs. John (Josephine) 

Josephine, Angela 
Woodv, Robert R. 

Mrs. Robert R. (Helen) 

Frances Ann 
Workman, Mrs. Dennis 

(Barbara Turbyfill) 
Wray, Wade N. 

Mrs. Wade N. (Nadine) 

Jack 
Young, L. L 

Mrs. L. L (Maude) 
Younger, Mrs. Louise 



37 



NON-RESIDENT MEMBERS 



Benson, Mrs. C. Kenneth 

(Ann Dahl) 
Black, William David 
Bjerk, Dr. Edward M. 
Bowman, Mrs. Michael (Sue Isley) 
Bowman, William Russell 
Byrd, Sergeant Carl 

Mrs. Carl (Patsy) 
Collier, Mrs. John (Judy Jones) 
Copenhaver, Donald E. 

Mrs. Donald E. (Mary Lou) 

Mark Anthony, Lisa Michele 
Crane, Miss Barbara 
Cripps, Mrs. Ellen 
Crouse, Floyd, Jr. 
Crumpton, Danny Lee 

Mrs. Danny Lee (John Turner) 
Curry, James, Jr. 
DeVoto, Mrs. Charles H. 

(Gayle Isley) 
Edwards, John W., Jr. 

Mrs. J. W., Jr. (Ellen Abigail) 
Edwards, William, Jr. 

Mrs. William B. 

(Theressa McGee) 
Emerson, Mrs. James 

(Donna Dunn) 
Fagg, Harvey E. 

Mrs. Harvey E. (Eunice) 

Rebecca Gail, Karen Joyce, 

Sarah Jane, Robsrt Henry, 

Michael 
Fogleman, Jon 

Mrs. Jon (Diane Dixon) 
Fuqua, Jerry H. 
Gee, Charles Daniel 
Gee, James Thomas 
Gee, William David 

Mrs. W. D. (Kay) 
Hayden, Mrs. Joseph W. 
Hunley, J. Ronald 

Mrs. J. Ronald (Jean) 

Kim Leigh, Kelli Layne, 

Kris Lynne, James Ronald, Jr. 



Keenan, Robert M. 
Kirkman, Clyde W. 

Mrs. Clyde (Carolyn) 

Mary Lenora, Clyde Wayne, Jr., 

Tammy Lynn 
Koch, Mr. Charles J., Jr. 
Koppell, Hans 

Mrs. Hans 

Heli Sylvia 
Lorimer, William H., Jr. 

Mrs. William H., Jr. 
Matkins, Mrs. James 

(Peggy Ann Barringer) 
May, Benjamin V. 

Mrs. Benjamin (Anne Dickson) 
May, Liss Lula 
May, Ward 

Mrs. Ward (Ellen) 
Mitchell, Bennet M. 
Mundy, Steve Darrell 

Mrs. Steve D. (Sandra) 
Moiz, Miss Sarah May 
Peterson, Dr. Tommy M. 

Mrs. Tommy (Alicia) 
Rhodes, Charles R. 
Rick, Carl W., Jr. 
Ritter, Mrs. Rebecca DeLoache 
Rouse, Mrs. T. J. (Ruth) 
Russell, Mrs. William W. 

(Vicki Baldwin) 
Schaupp, Mrs. John C. 

(Barbara Porter) 
Sellers, Miss Clem 
Slaughter, Mrs. Catherine 

Laura, Pamela Gwyn 
Strange, Charles G., Jr. 

Charles Gilbert, III 
Thompson, Vernon 
Tripp, Larry D. 
TurbyfiU, Donald 
Wyrick, Granville G. 
York, Ross 

Younger, Ralph Kendall 
Younger, William B. 



38 



BIBLIOGRAPHY 

Blackwelder, Ruth, The Age of Orange. Charlotte Heritage Printers, 1961. 

Clemmer, Eva Christman, History of Macedonia Lutheran Church. Burling- 
ton, 1959. 

Docinnents of the North Carolina Legislature. Raleigh, 1866. 

Burlington Times Ne^cs, March 29, 19.56. 

Macedonia Lutheran Church — Seventy-Fifth Anniversary Observance. Bur- 
lington, 1944. 

North Carolina Sunday School Beacon. Vol. VIII, Raleigh, 1908. 

Smyth, John F. D., A Tour in the United States of America. 2 vols. Dublin: 
G. Perrin, 1784. 

Stockard, Sallie Walker, The History of Alamance County. Raleigh: Capital 
Printing Company, 1900. 

Whitaker, Walker, Centennial History of Alamance County. 

Wyrick, H. P., A Historical Sketch of Macedonia Lutheran Church. Bur- 
lington, 1924. 



Alamance Printing Company, Burlington, N. C. 

39 



Duke University Libraries 



D00929770Y